Thursday, October 15, 2009

2009 Topps Updates & Highlights Review




2009 Topps Updates & Highlights came out this week and I purchased 2 Jumbo Hobby boxes. I always look forward to the product but its become boring and predictable.




Once again there were Ring of Honor, Turkey Red and Legends of the Game inserts. Its time for something new. Having the same design over and over becomes boring. There were the All-Star jersey cards which have been a part of Topps Updates since 2005 and I do like them but this year they are poorly designed. How can you have a blue background with a blue jersey? The piece of jersey becomes lost to the eye and dead looking.




I was also unhappy with the quality control. I received one of the black bordered cards numbered to 58 and it was peeling up and damaged. In the jumbo products they guarantee 1 autograph per box and in 1 box I received no autograph card. Does anyone look at the boxes before they go out?




Why are there more Andrew McCutchen rookie cards? How many rookie cards of him can Topps put in the same product?




I received 1 short print card per box and 1 black bordered card numbered to 58 per box. There were also the usual gold parallels numbered to 2009. So many cards with the same photo and different borders shows a lack of creativity.




The new silkscreen inserts are dull looking. Silkscreening should have better reproduction than is seen in these cards.




The only positive is that set builders will like the product as always and the photography of the base set is very good.




I was pleased to see Pedro Martinez and Cliff Lee as Phillies as well as Matt Holliday and Victor Martinez as a Cardinal and Red Sox.




Is this what we have to look forward to now that Topps has the exclusive contract with MLB? If it is the industry is in big trouble.




The product rates a 2 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. I opened up 2 hobby boxes.I'm not a fan of the jumbo boxes.
    box one I got a Lincecum all-star jersey #'d to 50
    A Ryan SP,and a Stadium stamp Forbes Field 13/90 also Matt Maloney box topper,and all the useless inserts.
    I give this box 4 outof 5 stars
    Box two:McCutchen box topper
    Mize SP,Jason Werth all-star jersey
    Ortiz A-rod black /58 if it wasn't for that /58 I looking to give box 2 1 out of 5 stars.I'm giving it 2 out of 5 stars.
    The same inserts in ser.1 and ser.2 and the update.Will someone tell me why they put those toppstown cards in there.
    HEY EISNER THIS ISN"T DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete